Saturday, September 24, 2011

Great Grey Shrike! Killer Photos! and Curlew Sandpiper... Shetland Wildlife


Jon Dunn
Great Grey Shrike with female Blackcap
The Shrike made it's ladder in the bottom of last years Christmas tree placed in my garden for extra cover. I was just clearing the dishes from lunch for the Shetland Wildlife Group staying at our guest house. First seen in my garden by guest Brenda Roe looking out the window. Photographed by my friend & Shetland Wildlife Tour Leader - Jon Dunn. Shortly there after guest Cliff Atkins spotted a Curlew Sandpiper from the window as well. I think we all began to wonder why we walked the cliffs and crofts all morning with lesser results? but there is no denying the beautiful sunny day and spectacular scenery.

                                                                                                                                                                                                       Jon Dunn
Shrike on me Tree
Not only a new garden tick but tree tick too!
my photo...Great Grey Shrike hunting from my "Tree"

rubbish!
It's nice to have a good photographer around, you can see why I'm always complaining about my camera.
Just look at the photos of the Curlew Sandpiper! Thanks for sharing Jon

Jon Dunn
Curlew Sandpiper & Turnstone

Jon Dunn
Shetland Wildlife

Fair Isle - Shetland Wildlife Holiday Info:

Lisa - Brenda - Cliff - Jon - Colin

The group walking the crofts looking for rare migrant birds.

West Cliffs - Da Sharrif

One of the Blackcaps that didn't fall prey... happily eating apples I put just outside my window.
Entertained us all week.

this Starling wasn't so lucky... as the Kestrel, Henry & I

Henry & I were amazed to see this in our windowbox feeder and then down in the reeds just below.
We opened the door took a photo, then I held Henry up so he could see. so cool.
When you feed birds you can't get to surprised that other birds come to feed too.

Birds & Guests are always well fed at the Auld Haa Guesthouse.


1 comment:

  1. Hello friends,

    Nice post! Bird migration is the mechanism behind the seasonal appearance and disappearance of some species of birds, mammals, fish and insects. Generally, in birds, migration is seasonal and in the Indian subcontinent the majority of migratory birds are winter migrants. Thanks a lot.....

    ReplyDelete