Friday, August 31, 2012

Visiting Fair Isle descendent Dawn Williamson


Photos & Words by Dawn Williamson,

 150 years after my family left Fair Isle for Canada, I returned with my husband Paul for our second visit to the island.  We enjoyed a week (plus one bonus day, courtesy of the weather) at the Auld Haa Guest House with Tommy and Liz and Henry and enjoyed many opportunities to interact with Fair Isle family and friends.  We look forward to our next visit.

Dawn & Paul
 Some of my fondest memories involve food:
eggs warm from the hens,



mushrooms foraged near the North Light,


fruits of the sea,


and lamb as far as the eye can see.


 Not to mention the homemade bread and the fine desserts.  And did I mention the whisky?  Slow food is alive and well on Fair Isle!  In spite of the inherent danger of over indulgence, I know I’ll be back for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment