Friday, September 23, 2011

Bird of the Week - Sept 12 -18 Spotted Flycatcher


Spotted Flycatcher
I have seen a Spotted Flycatcher in my garden everyday for weeks now... What a joy it is to watch flit from spot to spot. So even thought much rarer birds have been seen this week (Great Snipe, Citrine Wagtail, etc.) this is my personal bird of the week. Simply a delight to have around my garden. I have also included some other random sightings below that I managed to get photos of.

Goldcrest in the garden for 3 days is always fun... and so cute!


35 Whooper Swan in flight... the larges group I have ever seen on Fair Isle.
plus 1 swan (Dennis) on Meoness makes 36
The Whoopers all rafted on the sea in the South Harbour

Shanny Blenny caught by Henry

Cool cloud formation over Fair Isle's South Lighthouse

Willow Warblers everywhere

and to "cap" things off
Blackcap


1 comment:

  1. Hi all,

    Nice post! At first glance, spotted flycatchers might seen dull brownish-grey and well a bit boring. It's better to think of them as beautiful in an understated way. Watch them for a short period and you'll be charmed by their fly-catching antics. Spotted flycatchers fly from a high perch, dash out to grab a flying insect and return to the same perch. Thanks......

    ReplyDelete