Thursday, September 08, 2011

Fishing with Stewart

Haddock!

Pollack on a string... Henry caught 4 Pollack at a go.
 Stewart of Quoy took us out fishing in his boat July 30th, the Sea/Ocean was anything but calm that day. I have a saying "you never get sea sick if you have a fish on the end of your line". It was amazing almost non stop fish! and so many different kinds. Henry & I had a blast! While Stewart was laughing at Henry's enthusiasm.

Greater Sandeel

I caught a Gunnard

The View of the Isle from Sea is always... Wow!
Kirk Stack, the white on the rocks are nesting Gannets as are most of the birds in the air. Average wingspan 180cm.

Henry's 3 Haddock
Stewart snagged this beautiful Sunstar from the watery depths.
Henry and I have never seen one before. 

We went in for a closer view at the fallen cliff face.
in a hour or two the fish box was full.
on the way back to the pier we checked our Lobster trap! lucky day!

our half or share of the catch.
Mackerel, Haddock, Cod, Greater Sandeel & Flounder
(Pollack & Coallies not shown)




I found these 2 in the the stomach of the Cod. 

Squat Lobster & Long Clawed Porcelain Crab 


We have tale to tell... Thank you Stewart!

4 comments:

  1. These images would go well with the Northumberland folk song -
    You shall have a fishy on a little dishy,
    You shall have a fishy when the boat gets in.
    You shall have a mackerel on a little dishy,
    You shall have a mackerel when the boat gets in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW....looks like you boys had a great day! Thanks for the photos.....unfortunately I would be VERY seasick, even with a fish on the end of a line! .......a blue lobster?? ~Annie John :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing catch!! Love Henry's facial expression in the first photo! Hope you guys are well, please give Henry a hug from me. I STILL miss Fair Isle! (Reading your blog is the next best thing to being back there.)

    Rachel Kremer (from the 2nd 2011 work party)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite photo is the one of Henry making the exact same facial expression as his haddock! Oh my! That one had me laughing out loud -- adorable! Also, I did not know just how human a fish could look as I had never seen an actual haddock before - the eyes and "lips" on a fish. Beautiful fish!
    My 2nd favourite photo is the one of the lobster "tale" with the isle as backdrop. That was a cute photo -- loved them all, as usual. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us here back in the U.S.
    I do hope to be there 1 day though, and give the isle at least a year of my time on this planet.

    Cheers~

    Danielle Cara

    ReplyDelete