Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bird of the Week - Sept. 19th - 25th - Baird's Sandpiper

Baird's Sandpiper
 I got a call that a Baird's Sandpiper was on the North Haven Beach... being Saturday, Henry & I hopped in the car and did a little Isle twitching. We had great views as you can see. I must say I brought my field guide to try to see the specific features and learn something because waders are still a bit confusing at times. This North American bird is the rarest bird of the week and a "Lifer" for me. woot! woot!


Melodious Warbler is still showing well to the delight of many newly arriving birders.

Today Sept. 25th - My Birthday...
Can you imagine my excitement when I looked out my window early this morning and saw this Magpie?
Believe it or not, a Magpie on Fair Isle is very rare indeed. Only one ever record in the 1980's
 I was hoping to find a rare bird on my birthday?
I scrambled for my binoculars only to see it's a decoy?

Magpie? Origin still unknown? Okay you got me!


Something is fishy around here? happy birthday!
 Did you see this post from earlier in the week?

Great Grey Shrike! Killer Photos! and Curlew Sandpiper... Shetland Wildlife


photo by Jon Dunn 


3 comments:

  1. It looks like a miniature sheep is also on your bird stand just below the magpie! ;-)

    Happy Birthday and Many Happy Returns of the Day,

    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday - did Henry play that trick on you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all,

    The Baird's sandpiper is a small shorebird. Adults have black legs and a short thin dark bill. They are dark brown on top and mainly white underneath with a black patch on the rump. The head and breast are light brown with dark streaks. In winter plumage, this species is paler brownish gray above. Thanks a lot......

    ReplyDelete